In 1859 Richard Garrett and Son built a private standard gauge railway line which connected their ‘ Bottom Works ‘, also known as ‘ The Town Works ‘, the remaining part of which is now the LONG SHOP MUSEUM, to the Branch Line that ran from SAXMUNDHAM to LEISTON. A year later the branch line was extended to ALDEBURGH. By 1912 Garrett and Sons had built their ‘Top Works ‘, also known as ‘ Station Works ‘. This railway link enabled raw materials and finished products to be transported between the two sites and the main railway line network.
Initially the railway was worked by Suffolk Punch horses. These were replaced in 1929 by the Steam Shunting Engine ‘SIRAPITE‘ until 1962. From then on a Battery Electric Locomotive was used until 1968 when the railway was dismantled.